Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My awesome summer with my amazing family...

The summer started out really great with a visit from a tiny person we call "Halle". Yep, my cousin came back to hang out with her favorite cousin...ME!! She was here for an entire month!! I couldn't believe she wanted to stay that long, but it was her choice...and she loved every minute of it, as did we! She arrived mid-June and we did some of the same things we did the summer she was here when she was 14. We went to Six Flags, Dealey Plaza, downtown Fort Worth and the Water Gardens, etc. This summer was a bit different because she has started looking at colleges. She had researched a few campuses in or near the area and wanted to tour them, so we toured TCU and Baylor. Ok, first I need to say that her parents decided to also take a trip to Texas, but they weren't here quite as long. Tracey, her mom, was here for about 8 days and Dave, her dad, was here less than a week. While they were here my mom and I thought we'd show them a bit of Texas history, so we took them to see the Alamo. So, Halle, Tracey, Dave, Mom, and I made that 5 hour trip to San Antonio. (Will wanted to go but had to work) Since it was on our way we stopped in Waco to check out Baylor University...and boy, are we glad we did. Halle and her parents fell in love with that college! Just being on campus gave each of us that warm, fuzzy feeling. :) Anyway, after our tour we headed south to San Antonio and stayed in The Crockett Hotel, which is named for Davy Crockett, of course. I'd never stayed there but I loved that it is unique and only in San Antonio. The prices weren't outrageous, especially for being very close to the Riverwalk, so it was perfect. We saw the Alamo and walked the Riverwalk, which is fun no matter how many times you've done it, in my opinion. I think they all enjoyed our little trip and would probably do it again. Woohoo! They loved it...mission accomplished! Okay, when we got back to the Fort Worth area we took Halle to see TCU. We took a morning tour so the weather was nice, which was good because it was a walking tour...have y'all seen that campus? It isn't tiny...lol. We got some exercise, though...ha! Halle was not impressed with it at first, but after she thought about it she didn't hate it. I'll admit the warm fuzzies weren't there and it seemed a bit more "snooty" than Baylor. I think she just has it in her head that Baylor is her school. Tracey and Dave would like her to keep her options open, but honestly they really love Baylor, too, so they do understand. When Halle visited us for the first time a few years ago she knew Texas is where she wants to be. That apparently hasn't changed, which is awesome! Enough about colleges... I'll back track a bit. Halle was here for two weeks before her parents arrived, so Will, Clark, and I took her on a little road trip to Missouri to see Shawn and Katelyn. We had an amazing boating weekend! It is an 8-9 hour drive so Halle kept busy by watching movies in our Yukon. That DVD player comes in handy on a road trip. lol We introduced her to a few awesome 80's movies!!!! She watched Footloose (yes, the original), Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, National Lampoon's Vacation, and European Vacation. She enjoyed all of them, which doesn't surprise me at all. That is the BEST decade for movies! I think most would agree. Last, but certainly not least, was our 4th of July celebration!! Halle says she really enjoys the way we do it here. I like it, but I guess I'm a bit biased. Heehee Now, back to when Tracey was still here and after Dave had gone home...we took Tracey to the Concert in the Garden with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. If you live in or near Fort Worth and you haven't done this, I highly recommend it. Tracey and Halle absolutely loved it and were saying Dave would be sorry he missed it. He and Tracey are musicians and enjoy live music. Maybe next year!!! Well, that's about it! There has been talk about Halle and her parents returning this summer! Tracey has mentioned wanting Halle to tour a few more colleges in the area. I think she is looking at SMU and UNT, which I'd be happy to show her. Maybe they'll stay longer so we can show them more of this great state, too!!! Actually, if that happens I'm thinking another trip to Missouri and maybe one to Houston (to see my Uncle Mikeaboy and Aunt Marjanna)should be on the itinerary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new house in Boyd, TX. Hope all is well. June 2014