Wednesday, February 24, 2016

It's a sad day on the Nicholson farm...

We live on 7 acres that are separated into 3 sections. We have about 3 acres in front, about the same in the back, and our home is in the middle of the property sitting on approximately 1 acre. We make sure to count our sheep/goat every day, but last night when I went to close the gate, thinking they were all in front in their shelter, I didn't count them. I guess I just assumed all 35 were in there. I mean, the shelter was packed (it was raining) and Casper (the Great Pyrenees) was in there with them. Apparently, Serafina and her baby, Stephie were still in the back grazing. Something kept telling me to check to make sure I got all of them, but unfortunately I didn't. Now Casper is a wonderful guard dog, but there are only so many things one dog can do. He was watching over the majority of the herd. I don't blame him at all. He does patrol every night, and he scares off anything that might trespass (except the deer, he leaves them alone, I think). Anyway, this morning my hubby was only counting 33 so we just had to figure out who was missing. It didn't take long. My brother found Serafina lying in a little shed in the back, eyes wide open. Well, she was super skinny and we figured she just couldn't handle the cold rain and possibly passed away from being too cold. Well, she was #34, but we were still missing one...her baby. I counted again...and again, then realized she was the one missing. So many of them look alike I had to make sure she was the one I had to find. Well, my brother, hubby, and I walked toward the back fence and saw a tail, then some hair. And yes, it was Stephie's. Whatever attacked her must have taken the rest of her because the tail and bits of hair was all we found. I'm extremely sad about Serafina, but it probably hurts more just knowing what Stephie probably went through. That poor little lamb. She was only 3 months old and we lost her brother Stevie last month from pneumonia. My husband has learned that sometimes sheep will die of shock. They're always so skittish anyway, but if something was happening to Serafina's baby and she watched it happen, she might have literally been scared to death. That just breaks my heart!! I know that it is all a part of life, but it doesn't make it any easier. With all the walking I did around the property I'm halfway to my step goal for the day and it's only 1pm. So I guess that's good. RIP Serafina, Stevie, and Stephie... [

No comments: